<
>
<

16.3.11

round one

when i was 8 i loved me some george straight. me and my best friends, traci and rachel, made up many a dance to "carrying your love with me" and "one night at a time." (traci, i'm pretty sure cameron was always there getting his groove thang on too. "love dorothy, love toto, must go home.") when i was 10 i got a karaoke machine for christmas. i vividly remember singing my heart out to "to make you feel my love" and "the dance" by garth brooks. i'm pretty sure traci and rachel were still in the picture.

well sometime between then and now i've realize how awful country music is. well 85% of it anyway, i'll leave garth, george and johnny in the 15% that isn't so awful. it's not the sound that's awful, it's the lyrics. just because it's rhymes doesn't mean you should say it or that it makes sense, shania. country music radio is playing 24/7 at work and i find myself absentmindedly singing along "rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey, whiskey makes my baby feel a little frisky" or "after three rounds with jose cuervo..."

heaven help me.

before any country music lovers get offended (i.e. my brothers) read this, we're all entitled to our lame awesome music. based on our music selections, you'd probably say "different stroke for different folks" and i'd probably say "is ight, shawty."

15 comments:

MyKelle J said...

my cousin and i used to put on concerts for our parents. we'd sing the duet "does he love you" in our dresses and moms shoes.

MyKelle J said...

ps. miss your face.

Chelsea said...

i love country. however, there are a handful of songs that make me want to punch a hole in my dashboard. and that corn song tops the freakin list.

Traci Butler said...

oh heavens I thought you were going to dis my George there for a minute!

But, I totally agree. I go tan in the mornings and I want to cut the radio cords on the tanning bed because the chick plays country music (that new "country" crap that can't even really be called country) that totally blows. It's a waste of a perfectly good fake bake session :)

kate said...

truce,

PLEASE tell me you rememnber when cam said that? please, please!

i could never hate george trac, you know that.

kate said...

p.s. jalbrindum? i keep saying that and it always makes me think of you.

truce is better than friction fo life!

kate said...

p.s.s. are you bringing back 10th grade cheer with fake baking? would you like a play boy bunny sticker tan line like our cheer coach?

class-y.

Traci Butler said...

Oh yes, I remember him doing that. Hilarious. Kam was the man.

Jalbrindum and jewish jump start... we had awesome friends.

Remember that time you got a "demonjie" in cheer? hahaha. I go to Zumba twice a week here and now I am totally embarrased that I actually danced in front of large group of people without anyone telling me I can't dance and have no rhythm. Thanks for not telling me that then.

What fake bake is complete without a playboy bunny sticker? Come on Kate give me a little more credit. Remember playing Where's Waldo with the family pictures you just took of us. It was painful to look at my pastey skin. So I pretty much paid $35this month to take a 20 minute nap during the day.

I was going threw my stuff at my moms house the other day and found that dress your mom made for me that matched your's and rachel's. Let's take another picture in them because the last one wasn't enough to make you barf!

Thanks for the memories Kathy.

We are the delightfully happy Denhalters said...

hahaha.... kate you crack me up.I won't tell joe you're dissing country.He would go off on you like a mad man with your Justin beiber kicks. Just hope he doesn't read this post...

Traci, you crack me up too. I wish I was one of your guys friends when you were little. sooo funny

angela hardison said...

i have lots of george and garth memories. country sucks though.

lauren said...

my sister & i used to listen to garth brooks in our room, on our tape deck. also, in our car, in our tape deck...
am i really getting that old?
lets get serious; i agree with you. country is horrible.
but, nothing will ever beat the live version of "rodeo" by garth brooks.
really.

Heather Anne said...

Seriously!!!! Shania SUCKS!!!! I love you Kate!

anna said...

word up sista!

kate said...

i used to always say, " i like everything but country and rap."

now, the lines are fading slightly. mr. cash will always be a favorite (but i really don't put him in the twangy "she stole my truck and heart" category anywhow.)but other than that i DON'T LIKE COUNTRY!

Unknown said...

kate, i love you! haha, this post is hilarious! you know me, i change my radio stations all around everyday! i listen to everything! i was singing along to "corn makes whiskey..." and i laughed & changed the station, thinking about this post! i'll always be a country girl, but i love me some indie & other music too!