<
>
<

28.6.12

she's such a good girl*


Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

In an effort of emotional regulation, I avoided watching this movie for a few months. I read the book last year and it was tough (losing your Dad at age 10 and trying desperately to keep his memory alive hits awfully close to home.) Then one Saturday when I was pretending I wasn't a student and had time to watch a movie alone, it was staring at me from the Red Box screen.

Wow. Oh wow, oh wow.

The music. The acting. The cinematography. The tambourine. I think a film should make you really feel something, and hopefully more than just one thing. And it did. You should watch it, and I'll sit here and jealously wish I was seeing it again for the first time. I watched it once alone (a good choice) and again with Landon. (We keep saying "lie number 47" after one of us says something out of the ordinary)  

*I sobbed through that whole scene. Sandra Bullock is golden, and if my love for Tom Hanks could grow anymore, it might have. And don't even get me started on Viola Davis. Or Thomas Horn!

14 comments:

Maria Larsen said...

I've never seen it before, but this makes me want to watch it. I do love Sandra Bullock.

Steoffrey said...

that movie is everything. and i agree, there is no one like tom hanks. he just could not be any better.

kate said...

i LOVED the book. i read on the plane coming home from somewhere and i tried like crazy not to cry in front of way-to-close strangers.

the movie was beautifully heart wrenching. i heard a lot of poor reviews, but i couldn't disagree more.

i can only imagine how much that really would've hit home for you. death at young age is so hard to grasp yet alone loosing a parent at that age. :(

Unknown said...

ahh kate! i seriously still need to watch it ever since you told me about it. tonights a good night, I just might have to do it!!

tori said...

Wasn't it great! And can you believe that was the first movie that little kid has ever been in? No previous acting training or anything. Brilliant. I loved every minute of it.

Brittany said...

i just read that book and i've been avoiding watching the movie as well. mostly because i'd heard not so good things about it, but it sounds like it's worth a watch.

Emily said...

What are the odds that we both blogged about this! We're cool. Glad you loved it too. I didn't even know there was a book before I watched it, otherwise I probably would have read it first.

laurice. said...

I live in a bubble...what movie is this? I want to watch it.

kylee said...

well i know what movie i will be redboxing next.

Lauren Vanderberg said...

ive heard people have been sobbbing!

Ezra, Kian & Eden said...

I'm on my way to pick it up...along with a pint of Ben and Jerry's which I will NOT be sharing.
BTW-we are in Park City! Can't wait to see you both. :)

mallosaurus said...

"the tamborine".... golden.

I avoided watching it for months also, but am so glad my husband convinced me to see it. everything was perfect. I didn't feel like i was watching actors - i was in the story. i couldn't love that boy any more.

you are cool - i'm glad i found your blog! nice meeting you today after Tara talked about how alike you two are. :)

tifsong said...

i am so happy you liked the movie.
i thought it was so beautiful so very beautiful. everything about it. the book is one of my utmost favorites, and i think, although, they left a good lot out, they made it quite perfect. seriously. it was wonderful.

"heavy boots" and all.

angela hardison said...

i started to watch this but fell asleep, because it was like five days after i had a baby and i was so exhausted. thanks for the reminder i need to try again.